Total Pageviews

Monday, January 13, 2014

I Heart(ed) Downton Abbey!

Well well, I'm quite surprised that I haven't written anything in last 2 years. Although I do see couple of posts in my drafts folder but unfortunately they never made it on to the published journal. Lots has happened in last 24 months but that's saved in for later posts.

Right now it's all about "Downton Abbey". I have just finished watching the first four series of Downton Abbey back to back. In fact that's all I have done in last 3 days or so. I must say that I feel exhilarated. The whole 'DA' experience has been one of a kind for me. You see I've got a huge thing for British Period Stories/Dramas. I'm totally a Jane Austen / Jane Eyre girl and I'm glad that this has been the first series that I hadn't read the book before watching.

Right now I could go endlessly about DA but I would like to pen down my most heart warming accounts:

  1. The bloom in Mary Crawley's character from pilot to Christmas Special of 2013 has been just impeccable. She truly is an heroine (or should I say heiress) whom you can't resist falling for. Kudos to Michelle Dockery for a fabulous portrayal of girl power in post Edwardian era.
  2. I absolutely love the sass and wits in the character of Violet Crawley the Dowager Countess of Grantham. Maggie Smith is so adorable that she takes the whole 'DA' experience to all the new levels. She's most enjoyable with Penelope Wilton's in the frame. Together Lady Violet and Isoble are show stealers. 
  3. I absolutely adore the character of Charlie Carlson. Jim Cater emerges like a flawless phoenix. Carlson's discipline, sarcasm and beyond all his impeccable loyalty and kind heartedness is amazing. His affection for Mary and his chemistry with Mrs. Hughes is like a cherry on the cake. Like his on and off drama when Mr. Mosley is in the frame. (Giggles) His character is a true Father Goose for me.
  4. Elizabeth McGovern's portrayal of Cora. the Countess of Grantham is so brilliant that she comes across as such matriarchal figure. She's so compassionate, kind and soft that she melts your heart away.
  5. Till season 3 Jessica Brown Findlay as Lady Sybil was gorgeous. I missed her in series 4.
  6. I enjoy the friendship between Mrs. Patmore and Mrs. Hughes. Especially Mrs. Patmore's sarcasm with her kitchen maids and footmen.
  7. Anna as Mary's personal maid is brilliant and Joanne Froggatt deserves a big pat on the back for her wonderful portrayal of the character.
  8. Love, love, loved (& still do) the gorgeous men starting from Dan Stevens, Rob James-Collier to Tom Cullen.
  9. All the gossip, banter, secrets and drama downstairs looks like the secret key ingredient.
  10. I absolutely love the fact that each and every character is shown to be human with their own strengths and opportunities. They depend on each other and can very well coexist without overshadowing each other.
All and all, I absolutely HEART <3 5.="" and="" forward="" looking="" p="" series="" to="">

No comments:

Post a Comment