Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Inspiring story of a brave woman : Sindhutai Sapkal

"Could you please stop watching that crappy nonsense over n over again!", I yelled with my mouth full. These days, I hate to watch Television. Especially when I am on the dining table, and my incorrigible mom goes on and on with her nonstop regional daily soaps. "It's not a daily soap!" mom snapped back. "Oh! then it must be some stupid reality show or some fixed talent hunt?" my response. "No, silly it's AVG's new talk show called Khupte tithe Gupte!" cooler response this time.


AVG (Avadhoot Gupte) is the ultimate Marathi Rockstar! I have been his fan ever since I was 10. The sheer mention of AVG stopped me from shutting down the TV.  There were two people sitting on sofa chair across AVG, and just like any other chat show the host was chitchatting with them. One of the two guests was veteran actor Vikram Gokhale and there was a lady in the next seat. Immediately, my mind started scanning for that lady and to my surprise I couldn't recognize her. So, I assumed that the show involved a celebrity and may be a common man/woman. The woman was talking about something... some incident where she was sitting on the door of some cabinet lady minister and their conversation in broken, rural, Marathi accented Hindi. It was the tone of her voice that definitely belonged to somebody with great deeds. This was my very first glimpse of the Mother of Orphans!


As, the show progressed, I was getting more and more curious about knowing details of her and her area of work. She definitely was somebody big, big by her deeds towards the welfare of mankind. Those few minutes of the show left me with curiosity and a name - Sindhutai Sapkal!


I literally jumped on my comp seat and googled Sindhutai Sapkal. I was amazed with the number of results available on the internet about 74000. I went through alot of links, I even watched couple of clips on her. 
Sindhutai Sapkal aka Mother of Orphans is a Marathi social worker and Social activist, predominantly known for raising orphan children.


Nicknamed "Chindhi" she was an unwanted daughter from a very poor family. She as married at the age of 9, thus all education that she could manage was standard 4. At the age of 20, she was abandoned by her husband with an infant child practically like an orphan. She donated her biological daughter to a trust, in order to avoid partiality. Till date she has raised thousands of very well educated(Doctors, lawyers, teachers, social workers) children, who were once mere 'orphans' abandoned in the society.


Nothing but the enigmatic charisma of her which make her so inspirational for most of us. Especially women, who are scared of society, people and their perception. when there wasn't roof on her head, she spent her nights in cemetery since even the mightiest of men were scared of the one's who rest in peace over there. She truly epitomizes the fact that victory lies ahead of our fears!


I hope one day, I will be able to contribute something to her extremely altruistic work. 

2 comments:

  1. She is great Marathi May..
    The TV show was first Glimpse for me too.
    Thanks to the AVG show, now I know her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No words to describe about her work... she is the real hero of our nation!!!!

    ReplyDelete