Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 10, 2011

IELTS : My experience!

First thing first, I took IELTS - academic module in first week of March this year. I scored 7.5 in listening, 7.0 in reading, 7.0 in writing and 7.5 in speaking with an overall banding of 7.5.
My major realization in this whole process of IELTS application, preparation, examination and then the result is that you can't drastically jump bands(exceptions may exist)! IELTS is basically an universally acknowledged yardstick to measure one's level of English language proficiency. It is practically impossible for most of us to master the language overnight! Our score most probably will be the same as mock tests. It'll be okay if you directly face the exam however taking practice tests before the actual test make you more conversant with the format.

There's no need to buy any additional material for IELTS. The complimentary book in itself is a complete package. Practicing 3-4 mock tests for listening and readings should be good enough. I personally did nothing for writing section, I just went through couple of samples from the book and got an idea of how to go about it. Same goes for speaking, I just treated it like a cordial professional conversation with a stranger/interviewer.

If somebody is planning to join coaching classes especially to clear IELTS then I think it's futile. If your command over English is weak then you must look at improving on it. You may join classes for longer duration, but again for English and not for IELTS. Again, I would like to reiterate IELTS is just a scoring system, your grades will totally depend on your proficiency and there are no tips and tricks to prove language proficiency!

No comments:

Post a Comment